Breakout Rooms in Teams
Breakout rooms in Teams are a great way to create sub-meetings within your Teams meeting for smaller groups of attendees to have discussions and collaborate. A maximum of 50 Breakout rooms can be created from the original meeting.
To create Breakout Rooms you need to be the Meeting Organiser.
To do this you must first start the meeting. Once you have done this follow these steps (click images to enlarge).
- From the meeting control options select Breakout rooms then carry out the following setup:
- Select the number of rooms you would like (maximum of 50).
- Choose whether to assign attendees manually or automatically.
- Click on Create Rooms.
If you have chosen the Manual Option you will then have to do as follows:
- Select Assign participants. In this window you can then set the attendees.
- Choose the people you want in the room by selecting the checkboxes next to their name.
- Select the down arrow next to Assign and choose the appropriate breakout room for them.
- Repeat the previous steps until all attendees are assign to a room.
- When complete click on Confirm.
You can also change the names of the Breakout Rooms and/or set a time limit for breakout room sessions if you wish.
- To open all the rooms at the same time, select
- To open a single room, hover over the room and select More Options then Join room.
The reverse can be done to close rooms.